Do you want to lose 10, 30, 50 or more pounds? Have you recently reached your weight loss goal but want to maintain it? Are you willing to dedicate yourself to a healthy lifestyle? Then this blog is for you!

I have lost 118 pounds and have maintained the weight loss for two years. One of the things I have learned during the weight loss process is that it is much easier to reach and maintain your goal weight if you surround yourself with like-minded individuals to support you in the process (whether they be in person or online).

I also have learned that learning as much as possible about healthy living gives you the knowledge and expertise needed to lose weight the “right” way. So this blog includes regular posts, a book list, website list, TV list, video list and book and website of the month. In addition, there is a recipe of the month and product review section. Visitors to Weight Loss Aficionado can just enjoy the site for informational purposes or can comment on posts, ask questions, share resources, their triumphs and pitfalls during the weight loss process.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Standing In Defense Of Diet Soda

You’re a man after my own heart David Greene! I have lost 70 pounds drinking diet soda every day! Adding zero calorie drinks to my diet helps me maintain my consistent weight loss and will eventually help me maintain my weight once I reach my goal weight. My favorites are Fresca, Diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash and Diet Canada Dry Green Tea Gingerale! Fresca has a fresh, crisp, citrus, mostly grapefruit taste, yum! Diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash has a sweet, cranberry kick, yum yum! Diet Canada Dry Green Tea Gingerale has a crisp, clean taste, with a hint of green tea, yum, yum, yum!

Standing In Defense Of Diet Coke
Diet Coke. David Greene likes it.

February 4, 2012

I would like to rise up today in defense of Diet Coke. All diet sodas, in fact. But Diet Coke happens to be my favorite.

I like the stuff.

Cracking open a can of it, or pouring some over ice, helps me survive a long work day.

This love of Diet Coke is one reason my re-entry into the United States has been a little rocky. When I moved back recently after a reporting assignment in Russia, nobody warned me that war had been declared on Diet Coke.

The artillery was fired by Men's Health magazine.

I had heard the old argument that Diet Coke doesn't live up to its billing as a diet-helper.

But now, in the magazine, comes the accusation that diet sodas make you eat more?

The magazine cited a study, claiming that if you give up regular soft drinks and start downing diet soda, you end up eating more desserts, more bread and you get fatter.

I'm willing to take serious advice about better eating. Goodness knows, battling obesity is one of the most serious challenges in the U.S. today.

But living abroad helped me to see just how obsessed we are in the U.S. about giving each other tips about what not to put in our mouths.

Just for fun, here are a few other gems from Men's Health.

If you're hung over, choose asparagus.

I'll quote the magazine: "When South Korean researchers exposed a group of human liver cells to asparagus extract, it suppressed free radicals and more than doubled the activity of two enzymes that metabolize alcohol."

Really?

David Greene guest hosts for NPR's Morning Edition, Weekend Edition Saturday and Weekend Edition Sunday.

OK, how about this one: Practice total recall. The magazine quotes British scientists who said if you think about your last meal before snacking, you'll remember how satisfying that meal was, and you'll be less in the mood to snack.

I call baloney.

I can't remember the last time thinking back to my ham and cheese sandwich suddenly made me less interested in the pretzels on my desk.

Definitely my favorite: Turn off the TV. The magazine says people who watch TV during a meal chow down almost 300 calories more than a non-TV watcher.

I know I'm no scientist. But I'm sorry. If you're listening to this radio program while eating a fat-free yogurt, can we jump to the conclusion that radio-listening will make you a healthier eater?

Count me as unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment