Do you want to lose 10, 30, 50 or more pounds? Have you recently reached your weight loss goal but want to maintain it? Are you willing to dedicate yourself to a healthy lifestyle? Then this blog is for you!

I have lost 118 pounds and have maintained the weight loss for two years. One of the things I have learned during the weight loss process is that it is much easier to reach and maintain your goal weight if you surround yourself with like-minded individuals to support you in the process (whether they be in person or online).

I also have learned that learning as much as possible about healthy living gives you the knowledge and expertise needed to lose weight the “right” way. So this blog includes regular posts, a book list, website list, TV list, video list and book and website of the month. In addition, there is a recipe of the month and product review section. Visitors to Weight Loss Aficionado can just enjoy the site for informational purposes or can comment on posts, ask questions, share resources, their triumphs and pitfalls during the weight loss process.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Exercise Everyday! Stand in the Front Row of Your Gym Class!

When I first started my diet I went to the gym four days a week for one hour a day. I made sure to choose "high aerobic" classes that burned the most calories like cardio kickboxing, pre-season sports conditioning, and total body conditioning.   Each week I added a day until by week 3 I went to the gym 6 days a week one hour a day. During my second month I increased my time in the gym to 1.5 hours. I added a half hour of the elliptical machine or the treadmill. The third month I switched in my elliptical/ treadmill for a second class, which increased my time in the gym each day to two hours. My fourth month I increased my time in the gym to 2.25 hours (two classes and 15 minutes on the elliptical/ treadmill). My fifth month I increased my time in the gym to between 2.5 and 3 hours a day ( 2 classes and  1/2 an hour on the treadmill and eliptical).

Towards the end of my fifth month at the gym I added a third class, either pilates or yoga. I left out these two classes previously because they are not "high calorie" burners. But, what I learned is that these classes give your more flexibilty, build your strength and support your "inner calm." So I now take two " high calorie" burning classes and a yoga or pilates class each day, six days a week. My stamina has improved three-fold. I'm amazed that I can leave the gym after three hours and still have energy!

The key is to slowly but surely continue to increase the time you are in the gym so that you continue to challenge yourself. On the day I do not go to the gym I make sure I do something that includes a lot of walking, my favorite is shopping! Go to Madison or 5th Ave. and window shop or go to the mall. It's amazing how much walking you get done when shopping and don't even realize it.

It is also important to give every minute you are in the gym 100% of your effort. I always am in the front of the room  near the instructor in all the classes I go to. If you are in the front you do your best! You want to make sure you don't look like a loser and that you do better then the "skinny girls" in the room. In addition, seeing yourself in the mirror makes you work harder and focus on doing the moves correctly. So next time you go to a gym don't stand in the back of the room and hide behind the masses, step to the front!!

No comments:

Post a Comment